Why is Acai Berry Necessary In Your Everyday Diet?
1. What is Acai Berry?Acai berry is a special kind of berry, loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. It was found that “antioxidants in acai berries are able to enter human cells and perform oxygen quenching function at very low doeses” (Schauss et al, 2006). It comes from a type of palm tree found in Brazil, native to the Amazon rainforest region. It grows to a height of above 15 meters and produces purple berries.
2. What are the benefits of Acai Berry?
- Improves Skin and Hair.
- More Vitamins and Minerals than most fruits
3. What are the potential side effects?Some of the side effects are:
- Excessive intake of Acai berries can increase bleeding. This is a very common side effect of some of the herbal organic supplements used for weight loss.
- An ingredient Echinacea can cause some acute liver problems.
- Diarrhea which can be influenced by some of the ingredients of Acai berries.
- Increase of the blood pressure
- It can set off allergies for people who are allergic to pollen .
- Pregnant women should check with their doctor before using.
- For supplements, always read the label or ask your doctor before using.
4. How can I incorporate Acai berry into my daily meals?Acai berries are typically added to juices and smoothies. For the powder form, you could sprinkle acai on just about anything, including for example, Seafood, Poultry, Salads, Vegetables, Rice, Porridge, Cereals, Yogurt or Desserts It can also be incorporated into baking – bread, muffins, cakes.
5. Who is Acai Berry suitable for?
- Vegans and Vegetarians – it is an excellent source of protein.
- People who are Energy deprived / Recovering from illness – Acai berries is an immune-stimulating, healing, energy-boosting fruit.
- People fighting the signs of aging – Acai berries are extremely high in antioxidants which contribute to an ability to slow or reverse the aging process
- People who want a healthy heart – ability to lower cholesterol levels in the blood stream.
- Couples trying to have a baby – It is believed by the Brazlians that Acai is a great sex stimulant and also provides endurance, energy and strength
- Fowler Jr, J. F., Woolery-Lloyd, H., Waldorf, H., & Saini, R. (2010). Innovations in natural ingredients and their use in skin care. Journal of drugs in dermatology: JDD, 9(6 Suppl), S72-81.
- Gan, D., Hines, M., Aravena, J., & Jones, B. (2007). S. Patent Application 11/624,985.
- Kang, J., Li, Z., Wu, T., Jensen, G. S., Schauss, A. G., & Wu, X. (2010). Anti-oxidant capacities of flavonoid compounds isolated from acai pulp (Euterpe oleracea Mart.). Food Chemistry, 122(3), 610-617.
- Kang, J., Xie, C., Li, Z., Nagarajan, S., Schauss, A. G., Wu, T., & Wu, X. (2011). Flavonoids from acai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) pulp and their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Food chemistry, 128(1), 152-157.
- Schauss, A. G., Wu, X., Prior, R. L., Ou, B., Huang, D., Owens, J., … & Shanbrom, E. (2006). Antioxidant capacity and other bioactivities of the freeze-dried Amazonian palm berry, Euterpe oleraceae mart.(acai). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 54(22), 8604-8610.